Bi-folding doors can complement any building giving a glass wall effect which provides panoramic views and brings the warmth and light of the outside in.
Ideally suited as a room divider, patio screen or contemporary feature wall, bi-folding doors create a stylish and architecturally pleasing façade without harming the character of the building.
Aluminium versus PVCu
We offer bi-fold doors in both aluminium and PVCu (which is significantly less in cost) however we would advocate aluminium as a preference as the systems derive from the commercial sector and have evolved over many, many decades being engineered to meet very rigorous industry standards with proven reliability & durability.
PVCu bi-fold doors have appeared more recently, specifically for residential applications and to meet the demand to match existing PVCu installations.
The following provides a guide to the benefits associated with aluminium versus PVCu:
- Maximum door width allows for more design flexibility
Aluminium = 1000mm
PVCu = 900mm
- Higher frame strength allows for more doors
Aluminium = 7 max. span 7000mm (commercial systems can exceed)
PVCu = 6 max. span 5400mm
- Higher frame strength allows for slender profiles resulting in increased glass area e.g. 450mm over a five door width
- Threshold section is more compact to allow for a ‘flush’ finish to the floor creating a seamless indoor to outdoor transition
- Doors are less bulky when stacked
- Coloured frames are more cost effective as the aluminium sector is geared to offer choice based on the RAL system as a standard service
Door Configuration – You Choose
The doors can be split in many ways to suit individual circumstances with or without a single priority door, for ease of access and split either left or right in multiples subject to how you want the doors prioritised.